Tuesday, June 22, 2010

St. Paul's Cathedral - London

I have to write out the description from the brochure at St. Paul's for you.

"There has been a Cathedral on this site for 1,400 years. It is named after Paul, one of the first Christians who brought the good news of Jesus to Europe. Jews, Christians and Muslims all share the stories of the Jewish scriptures that discovered there is one God. For Christians, the essential nature of God is seen in His son Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus' message of God's love for all so challenged the authorities that he was crucified on Good Friday, but three days later God raised him from the dead.

God's love is stronger than everything that destroys or dehumanises us - and the Cross is now the symbol of God's ceaseless and forgiving love. The Spirit of God awakens people to the fulfilling new life that Jesus delivers to those who trust in him and his way. This Spirit - the very same essence that so stirred the mind and imagination of St. Paul all those centuries ago - similarly inspired those who created this present Cathedral 300 years ago. And it continues to exhilarate and enthrall those who visit and worship in it today."

Paul was a great man but he was stirred by the same spirit that stirs me today. God is the same yesterday, today and for all eternity. The cathedral was simply beautiful - and pointed me by far to a more grand and great God.
----
And yes, I did climb the 257 steps to the Whispering Gallery, 119 steps more to the Stone Gallery and 152 steps to the Golden Gallery where you can get a panoramic view of London. My feet were so clammy I thought I was going to slip right out of my shoes...there was one spot where you could look down through a glass window in the floor. It was about 12 x 12 inches. I was very nervous!

I was also moved by the memorial from the British to the American's who died in WWII. John Donne was also buried here and I have enjoyed some of his poetry.

We ate dinner in another famouse pub - but I'll let Jason tell you that story. : )
--Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment