Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sunnyshore Studio... A Dream

I have a dream to build an art studio on some property we own on Camano Island...

It would be called "Sunnyshore Studio" and its mission would be to share the beauty of Camano Island with the world.

Part of my dream is to share my family's art legacy with the world. My great grandmother (google Fanny Y. Cory) was a nationally known illustrator (interestingly, she was featured in a Sunday edition of the Indianapolis Star in 1954 I think). Her daughter, Sayre Dodgson, who recently turned 103 was incredibly gifted at drawing the human figure (we have 100's of her sketches from art studio) but ended up studying to be a nurse and giving her life to raising her family. My father, Jack Dorsey, is a widely recognized pacific northwest artist. My Mom, Ann Cory (the name she goes by with her art) is rapidly developing as a gifted painter of people, particularly children, in Acrylics. My brother, Jed Dorsey, is a gifted Acrylic artist; and my sister April paints beautiful watercolors and pastels when she can find time away from raising her four children. I paint watercolors. So there is quite a family line, and, I'm sure, more to come.

So my dream is to create a studio on Camano that can showcase this legacy. I'd love it to have a sleeping space in the upstairs to share with artists who want a place to come to retreat and create.

When our family was in the Lake District, in Northwest England, I went on a solo tour to the Heaton Cooper Studio. This is a family art studio that was quite an inspiration to me.

Here is a photo tour of what I discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment